Question:
what is the differences between these words beneath, below and underneath?
Doctor
2006-03-11 12:22:50 UTC
what is the differences between these words beneath, below and underneath?
Five answers:
guardrailjim
2006-03-11 12:38:11 UTC
I'll give it a shot using a table as an example.

Below the table - anywhere lower than the top of the table. If your waist is the height of the table, then your knees are below the table.

Beneath the table - if you pick up the table and put it down on the floor, the floor is beneath the table.

Underneath the table - anywhere below the table, as long as if that point went straight up, it would hit the bottem of the table.

Another way to say it -

Below - is a distance. 10 feet below sea level.

Beneath - is a position. You're beneath an umbrella.

Underneath - something is on top. You're in a cave underneath the ground.
balderas
2016-10-15 06:57:03 UTC
Yay, stirring up some controversy. it is the hip-hop way. Lol purely kidding. Umm technically speaking, there's a 2-letter distinction. yet heavily, think of approximately this. A black guy is going as much as his white chum and says, "what's up my n*gga?". The white guy responds, "Chillin". What you're asserting is that the black guy stated the white guy became a n*gger...(and that's erroneous) So in a manner, the notice has developed previous that is slang version of the notice n*gger and has now been used as a noun for a man or woman, regardless of race. there'll continually be people who do not purely like the notice getting used whether that is been proliferated to the element which you won't be able to do a lot approximately it. And purely undergo in strategies this, i did not replace the which potential of the notice, society did. how many songs(extremely rap songs) have used the notice?
youkai
2006-03-11 12:32:05 UTC
I looked in the dictionary and they're pretty much have the exact same meanings. The difference is that they're spelled differently. Hope that helped.
auntb93again
2006-03-11 12:24:26 UTC
No significant differences. Use whatever sounds best in a given context.
THE ELLIMIST
2006-03-11 13:19:46 UTC
no differences