Question:
What is the difference between the words dreamt & dreamed. learnt & learned, spilt & spilled etc.?
2006-02-17 07:14:42 UTC
Why is it that when someone yawns, you also feel like yawning and vice versa..and it also catches onto the others around you?
Eight answers:
hogan.enterprises
2006-02-17 07:18:12 UTC
"Dreamt, Learnt, and Spilt" are primarily British spellings, while "dreamed, learned and spilled" are primarily American. Both forms are correct, depending on the audience
auntb93again
2006-02-17 07:20:58 UTC
The "t" ending is more old-fashioned, now mainly used in poety and song lyrics.

Yawning is indeed contagious, but I have never understood why. Maybe it is because it is primate behavior (monkeys do it, too), and primates are hooked on imitation. "Monkey see, monkey do" is not just a cliche, but an observation of monkey behavior. That is, we yawn because we are primates!
lubomira
2006-02-17 07:27:32 UTC
I agree - yawning is contagious but I don't know why....and I didn't know that difference between British and American spelling...thanks for sharing this information
2006-02-17 07:58:09 UTC
dreamt= to anticipate vaguely

dreamed= concieved of or imagined or hoped

learnt=to gain knowledge by learning

learned= of or pretaining to learning or characterized by learning scholarly.

split= it is a verb meaning decorating by ivory or copper.

spilled= to suffer or fall

this is different from spill which means falling and spreading of liquid.
drshorty
2006-02-17 17:15:42 UTC
Jay H is right. These versions of the words are in flux in English right now, so both versions are acceptable.
Casey
2006-02-17 07:19:25 UTC
Yeah, what she said...also using the word learnt doesnt seem to be as common in the US.
archfoe1978
2006-02-17 07:19:37 UTC
This is just the beginning of the modernizing of English language (ex. thru=through madafaka=youknow)
tabla girl
2006-02-17 07:15:36 UTC
dreamt, dreamed, leaped, leapt, etc--no difference. can be used interchangeably.

yawning is contagious