Question:
what is the subject in the sentence?
2010-02-16 16:59:22 UTC
ok please help me with my homework ok tell me what the subject is tell me if it's singular or plular and what the verb is in the sentence also can you give maybe 5 examples thanks sooooooooo much also can you explain thanks here is the sentence
Sally hates pie
Six answers:
Gretchen S
2010-02-16 17:05:50 UTC
The subject is "Sally," and that is singular: there is only one Sally. The verb is "hates." That is what the subject does or, in some cases, is or has. "Pie" is direct object, but you didn't ask about direct objects. Just realize that the pie doesn't hate/do anything. It receives the action of the verb. "hate."
chrys
2010-02-17 01:50:43 UTC
The subject of any sentence is who or what the sentence is talking about.

You work too hard.

Chicago is not the capital of Illinois.

The bouncy balls are red.

Chocolate makes a good treat.

What are the sentences about? You, ball, Chicago and chocolate. So these are the subjects.

Verbs express action, state, or being. Action verbs include jump, run and play- they tell you about the actions of the subject. In the first sentence, the subject was you. What did you do? work. That's your verb.

Another kind of verb is a form of "to be"- usually "is" or "are". The job of these verbs are to connect the subject with the rest of the sentence. The second sentence has a subject of Chicago. What does the sentence say about Chicago? It is not the capital of Illinois. The word "is" connects the subject with the rest of the sentence, so "is" is the verb.

Lastly, we have verbs that connect the subject with some object or idea. February is the subject of the fourth sentence. The last sentence has the subject chocolate. What about chocolate? It makes a good treat. Makes connects chocolate with good treat. So

makes is the verb.
Robbie
2010-02-17 01:07:06 UTC
Sally is the subject and it is singular. Hates is the verb. Here's a helpful hint. Find the verb (which is hates) and ask yourself, who hates pie? Sally hates pie. Therefore, Sally is the subject. Hope that makes it easier for you.

1. The dog barked.

2. Bob ran 15 miles.

3. The milk was too sour to drink.

4. The squirrel ran up the tree.

5. Sarah is my sister's friend.
2010-02-17 01:11:33 UTC
Complete Subject: Sally :Cause its the whole who of the sentence

Simple Subject: Sally :Cause its the main who of the sentence

Subject: Singular :Cause its not more than one person or thing

Verb: hates :Its action verb cause you can show it

My examples:

My sister jumped on the bed.

Complete Subject: My Sister

Simple Subject: Sister

Subject: Singular

Verb: Jumped

Stellina used college ruled paper.

Complete Subject: Stellina

Simple Subject: Stellina

Verb: Used

We use Kodak Paper to print our pictures.

Complete Subject: We

Simple Subject: We

Subject: Plural

Verb: Use

Lilia is eating spahgetti.

Complete Subject: Lilia

Simple Subject: Lilia

Verb: is eating

I said to my friend that this was a lot to write.

Complete Subject: I

Simple Subject: I

Verb: Said
?
2010-02-17 01:07:55 UTC
Sally is the subject because the sentence is about Sally. It is singular because there is only one of them.

Hates is the verb because it is the action.

You want 5 examples of a verb? A verb is any word that is an action.

Go

Run

Read

Watch

Eat.

Also, please use some punctuation in your sentences. It makes it very hard to read when you don't.
?
2010-02-17 01:33:31 UTC
A name of one person is always singular.

Usually you can tell if a noun is Plural because it nearly always adds -s. ("baby" is singular. Plural: "babies").

Some exceptions to this rule are "man" (Singular) "men" (Plural). "woman" Singular. Plural "women".

sheep doesn't add -s One sheep: singular two sheep Plural

* The singular noun "Sally" is the subject of the sentence because she is the person who "hates".

"hates" is the verb. It is third person singular because "Sally" is singular.

"pie" is the direct object of the verb "hates".

1. "She likes fruit" The word "She" is a third person, feminine singular pronoun.

The word "likes" is a verb in the Present tense. It is third person singular to agree with the subject "She"

2. "They like movies" The pronoun "They" is third person plural because it refers to more than one person. "They" is the subject of the verb "like".

"like" is a verb in the Present tense. It agrees with the subject "They". So it is third person plural.

"movies" is plural because the word refers to more than one movie. (It has an s on the end).

"movies" is the direct object of the verb "like" because "movies" is what "They like".

3. "You are learning grammar"

The pronoun "You" is the subject of the sentence. It is second person and the same word "You" is used whether it is singular or plural.

The verb "are learning" is Present continuous tense, second person to agree with the subject "You".

The noun "grammar" is singular. It is the direct object of the verb "are learning".

4. "I am answering your question" The pronoun "I" is the subject of the sentence. It's singular. It is first person.

The verb "am answering" is present continuous tense. It agrees with the subject "I".

The noun "question" is singular. It's the direct object of the verb. (It's what I am answering).

5. "We are using English."

The pronoun "We" is the subject of the sentence.

The word "We" is plural. It refers to more than one person. It's first person plural.

The verb in this sentence is "are using". It's in the present tense and agrees with the subject "We".

"English" is a singular noun. It has a capital letter because it is a Proper noun: (a name).

"English" is the direct object of the verb "are using".