Question:
2 Weeks in arrears, what does this mean?
Nicky
2011-06-27 12:14:38 UTC
I have started a new job, in my contract it says "for weekly paid staff the pay week ends on a friday at midnight. Wages are available each friday payable 2 weeks in arrears."
What does this mean? I'm wandering if i will get paid this week as i have so far worked 3 days and im working all this week.
Four answers:
Neil
2011-06-27 12:24:44 UTC
It means you will be paid weekly, but you won't be paid until 2 weeks have passed.

Say you start work on Monday the first. (The month is unimportant.) The pay week ends on Friday the 5th, but you don't get paid yet. You begin working your second week on Monday the 8th and it ends on Friday the 12th. (One week in arrears.) It is at the end of your third week (Friday the 19th) that you finally get paid for your first work week.
2016-03-01 06:04:41 UTC
Carefully study your pay statement. Not the check but the statement that outlines your deductions. If you don't get one, ask where you can get one. When you work overtime that money is also taxed. How much taxes are being taken out? How much do you claim because if you claim '0' that means they tax you the highest rate. That means the more you bring home the higher the taxes they remove. This is good so you won't owe them in the end. Also consider if you are paying into union dues, medical coverage, dental, vision, previous training, uniforms, or a retirement plan. All these deductions reduce your net pay. Your 2 week arrears means you will be paid two weeks behind your start date so you calculate your hours based on your first two weeks plus the next two added together. The next pay check will be the following two plus the two before that. Not the two you just worked. So if you didn't work a full shift in those first two weeks then your check will reflect that partial pay. Feel free to go to the manager to ask how the pay schedule breaks down (start of pay cycle and end) then mark it on a calendar and keep up with it). Go to him if you still think it is off.
Mike
2011-06-27 12:22:52 UTC
Arrears usually means something owed from a prior situation. Like if a landlord says your rent is in arrears from october. It means you owe rent all the way back to October. Not sure how that could apply to a job though. I guess they have some leniency as to which fridays the pay you.
Mamie
2011-06-27 12:18:18 UTC
That means on Friday, May 15 (for example) you'll receive your pay for the period ended Friday, May 1.